What is Shared Hosting? Simple answer is a single web hosting server is shared with multiple website owners to host their websites thus reducing costs. Shared Hosting is preferred for beginners, it is not suitable for website’s which have lot’s of traffic. Shared hosting a single web hosting server can have hundreds or even thousands of websites.
If they are hosting hundreds of website’s that may not be a problem because of website’s who are using shared hosting are small websites which have few number of visitors and doesn’t use any server resources. If any of the websites using most of the resources then that will become problem for other websites hosting on that web server. Web Hosting providers sets a maximum limit for using server resources on each hosting account.
Advantages of Shared Hosting
- Shared Hosting is less expensive compared to VPS Hosting or Dedicated Hosting. Shared Hosting cost will be around $3.99 to $9.99 per month.
- Client doesn’t need to know any server management skills because it’s already have a set-up and read to use.
- Client is not responsible for server management.
- Server gets updated when updates are available by hosting providers
- Client can upgrade their hosting plan when they get huge traffic.
Disadvantages of Shared Hosting
- Root level access in not provided with shared hosting.
- If any of websites have problem with their script, it can affect other websites too.
- If any of websites getting huge amount of traffic it can slow down other websites on that same web-server.
- On Shared hosting it can have limitations on Disk Space, Bandwidth and CPU resources.
- Other problem with Shared Hosting is not able to install modules and programs on the server you need in order to run your own scripts. The shared server is maintained by hosting provider to satisfy the average client’s needs. This restriction may cause you problems if you need a module for your scripts that is not installed.
If you are a beginner and starting your first website then start with Shared Hosting, it will not be expensive as VPS Hosting or Dedicated Hosting. And you don’t need to be any technical to start website with shared hosting, you can manage everything from within Web Hosting’s Control Panel.