How to Move WordPress Website Using Duplicator
How to move WordPress website from one domain to another domain, If you want to move a website from localhost to external server or to move a website from one domain to another domain without any glitch, if it’s your requirement then you can follow this procedure to move a wordpress based website. Here I’m using a plugin called Duplicator.
For successfully moving a WordPress based website from one domain to another domain you need to follow two procedures, first one is duplicate the website using duplicator and the second process is upload these file and extract them on new location, it may be either new domain on new web server
1. Install WordPress Duplicator plugin
- Click on “Dashboard” top left corner of site.
- Click “plugins” > “Add New”.
- Enter “Duplicator” in search box and press enter button.
- Select “Duplicator“ at result set.
- Click on “Install Now” and click “ok” alert message.
- Click on “Activate Plugin”.
Now you can access duplicator from WordPress administrative menu.
2. Duplicate your WordPress website using Duplicator Plugin
This step is to Duplicate or Clone the entire WordPress website.
- Click on “Duplicator” at dashboard.
- Click on “Create New”.
- Press “Next” Button.(It takes some time to scan the website).
- After scanning the website and click on “Build”. (It will take some tome to create the packages)
- Click on “Installer” and “Archive”, files will be downloaded to your local system.
After completing these steps you will get these two files, “installer.php” and website package file “website.zip”.
3. Move your website to another host or domain
After creating the clone, upload those two files into web-server and follow this below procedure to successfully complete the process.
- Upload “installer.php” and website package archive file “website.zip” to specified directory on your web server.
- Enter url in web browser as “your-domain-name.com/installer.php”.
- You get “Duplicator – Installer” window with few input text fields.
- Enter “Host” -> “Hosting Name”, “Name” -> “Enter Database name”, “User” -> “Enter User Name”, “Password” -> “Enter Password”.
- Click on “Test Connection…” to test connection is established or not.
if your entered details are true than you get “Server Connected: Success Database Found: Success”
- Click on “close” button
- Click on check box “I have read all warnings & notices”.
- Click on “Run Deployment”, now you get alert. click on “ok”.
(If any error occurs while executing “Run Deployment” then delete all the files except installer.php and website package archive and “try again” )
- Now you get “Old Settings” and “New Settings”, if you want to update anything update them.
- Click on “Run Update”.
- Click on “Cleanup” to remove “installer.php” and website package archive file “website.zip”.
Now you have successfully moved your WordPress website from one host to another host, you can use this process for moving a website from local development environment to production environment (from local webserver to live website with real domain name).