Installing Web Server in your Local computer
Installing Web Server in your local computer is an article in the series of Step by step guide to learn drupal 7. In order to use or install drupal 7, you need web server it’s a piece of software which is used to run web applications. Drupal 7 can be installed on a web server in your local machine, if you don’t have it installed, here i’ll explain what is web server and how anyone can install it on their computer. To install drupal, we need apache, php, mysql. All these three softwares.
Installing Web Server in your Local computer is an article in the series of Step by step guide to learn drupal7.
#Part 1 @ Day 3
In Installing Web Server in your Local computer you will learn
- What is Web Server?
- Different Web Server packages.
- How to install web Server in different operation systems.
What is Web Sever?
Simple meaning of Web Server, it refer to either the hardware or the software that helps to deliver web content that can be accessed through the Internet. The most common use of web servers is to host websites.
These three applications makes a web server Apache, PHP, MySql.
- Apache HTTP server is web-server application and it’s opensource. You can find more information at http://httpd.apache.org/
- PHP is a popular general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited to web development.
Fast, flexible and pragmatic, PHP powers everything from your blog to the most popular websites in the world.
You can find more info at : http://www.php.net/
- Mysql is the world’s most popular open source database. You can find more data at : http://www.mysql.com/
Different Web Server packages available
These web Server application packages availabe for different operating systems, you can use any one of them which best suits your needs.
- WAMP Server
- XAMPP Server
- Mamp Server
- LAMP Sever
Installing WAMP Server in Windows
In this step i’ll show you how to install web server in windows. Here i’ll explain in brief if you want step by step guide then you can follow below links
- Download 32 or 64 bit WAMP Serever applicaiton from the wampserver website.
- Before installing wamp server install Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package x86 or x64 (you can find this link on the same page.)
- Next execute wampserver.exe file and follow the steps.
- After installing WAMP Serever click on Start Menu => All Programs => WampServer => Start WampServer
- Now you should see a icon in the system tray.
- For testing wamp server is working or not, Open any browser => type http://localhost
- You should see WAMP Server screen
If you are facing any problem installing wamp server please go through the step by step guide to install WAMP Serever in Windows.
Installing XAMPP Server in Windows
XAMPP is available for different platforms for windows, mac, linux. You can use it on any platform.
- Download XAMPP Server application from apachefriends.org
- Run the executable file and follow the steps.
- After installing XAMPP, open xampp app from windows Start Menu => All Programs.
- After opening the app, click on the start buttons, next to Apache and MySQL.
- Test it by opening browser, go to http://localhost
- You will see XAMPP server screen.
If you are beginner and want step by step instructions the follow this step by step guide to install XAMPP Server in Windows.
Installing LAMP Server in Linux
If you are using linux and trying to install web server (LAMP), then the first step is to update and upgrade the packages. Install the tasksell, from the list of appicaitons select LAMP and continue through the steps. For step by step instructions go through below link.
I hope this article helped you to learn about what is web server? What are the different applications that are used in installing drupal 7. Different web server packages available for your Operating systems. And how to install web server in your local computer.Installing Web Server in your local computer is an article in series to Step by step guide to learn drupal 7. To get latest news us and updates follow us on twitter & Facebook, subscribe to newsletter.