What is VPS Hosting?
What is VPS Hosting? VPS stands for Virtual Private Server or its called as Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS). VPS Hosting is in between Shared Hosting and Dedicated Hosting. VPS Hosting has more features or capabilities than Shared Hosting, and VPS Hosting has less features and capabilities than Dedicated Hosting. VPS Hosting is an type web hosting, where you can upload all your website files.
But with VPS Hosting you will get root level access to web server. You can install new modules, scripts and you can even reboot your VPS server without affecting other client’s websites.
In Shared Hosting, client gets CPU resources and bandwidth that is shared with all user accounts of that server. In VPS , client will have dedicated amount of CPU, RAM and disk space. Client can use their allocated resources without affecting others. It’s like their own container.
VPS Hosting is best suitable for users who are getting huge amount traffic, and having slow website, then they can try VPS before migrating to dedicated Hosting.
VPS costs at high end Shared Hosting cost and much less than dedicated Hosting cost, it will be in between $20 to $150. It’s based on number of CPU cores, RAM, Disk Space, Bandwidth you are choosing.
How VPS Hosting will work?
They will take a dedicated server and make them into partitions using virtualization software, So they make partitions of a dedicated web server. If you want to know what is virtualization then try this – Using VirtualBox in windows to install Linux.
Advantages of VPS Hosting
- Client can have root level access to server.
- Client can install new modules, scripts and can reboot server.
- If any other client have problem with their server, it doesn’t effect other VPS servers.
- Client have full control over server.
- Client can use full resources allocated to his account.
Disadvantages of VPS Hosting
- Client has to manage their VPS server, unlike Shared Hosting where hosting provider takes care of all updates. But in VPS client needs to take care of them.
- Even if VPS has bandwidth limitation, Speed should be shared across all VPS servers, that means speed may vary.